Middle School Core Literature
Our middle school core literature list captures voices from different disciplines, different continents, and different philosophies.
Core Literature List by Grade
- A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L’Engle)
- Matsukaze (Kan’ami Kiyotsuga)
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry (Mildred Taylor)
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream (William Shakespeare)
- Everyday Use (Alice Walker)
- The Hobbit (J. R. R. Tolkien)
- Animal Farm (George Orwell)
- The House on Mango Street (Sandra Cisneros)
- The Three Questions (Leo Tolstoy)
- A Geronimo Story (Leslie Marmon Silko)
- Romeo & Juliet (William Shakespeare)
- Things Fall Apart (Chinua Achebe)
This list is not exhaustive, as we also believe strongly in guarding the autonomy of teacher-chosen readings, but rather, builds school community by making up a common 40 percent of the works read by all students. We think of our core literature not so much as a canon, but as a conversation, and a conversation in which all members of our community are encouraged to participate.